teevee related saturday shopping

Today has very much been about television...

And the associated new gadget envy that goes along with someone else's new toys.

After a slightly delayed start, we did the usual supermarket wandering... which was about the same as every other week's supermarket wandering.

Once we were done at the supermarket, we came back before getting ourselves organised for our only errand this week.

On Tuesday, Ma called me to let me know that her old teevee had started making weird noises and she didn't want to keep using it just in case it happened to blow up or whatnot.

I didn't have any problem with that, I've been trying to convince her that she's needed a new teevee for months now, even before the analogue stations were turned off, mostly because she hadn't been able to use her DVD player as well as the set top box for some strange reason.

So we headed down to the Good Guys store where we buy all of our major electronic doodads to see what they had on offer.

I also decided to have a look at the microwaves while we were there, but I never seem to see any that don't look kinda crappy... or else they're too big for the space I have available. I did see one that was kinda cool, but I need to double check the size of it.

While I was doing that, Ma was looking at teevees and then I came back over to see where she was at. It seems like they only have teevees that are around 25" and then the next size up is about 40"... whereas when I bought mine, I managed to get a 32". Either that or they just didn't have any in stock.

Given that Ma has more than enough space for a larger teevee, I recommended that she get the 42" Sony Bravia... I've been very happy with my Bravia over the last three years, although to be honest I'd forgotten how big my teevee was and thought it must have been around the same size.

Ma went back and forth on which teevee to choose for a little while but eventually settled on the W670A Bravia (which is the very pretty gadetness seen on the right).

Once it was all paid for and loaded in the car we headed down to Ma's place so I could help her put it all together and set it up and whatnot.

On the way down we worked out where to take her old CRT teevee, a possible plan for making a change to Christmas decorations and other randomness.

Ma had already reorganised her loungeroom and set up the IKEA LACK table to use as her teevee stand, so all I really needed to do was unpack the teevee, set it up on it's stand and connect all the wires.

Fortunately that was actually the hardest part... once everything was plugged into everything else, the teevee pretty much set itself up... a few minutes, a couple of language and location options later and Ma had a fully function and very large teevee.

It is a very big teevee though, relatively speaking, and because the border is incredibly thin, it looks even bigger.

My gadget envy didn't really kick in until we were playing around with it after it was all set up and we worked out that you can just plug in a USB and play stuff straight from there. Mine does have a USB port but it never seems to work like it should.

Plus it's a bigger teevee, it's all shiny, it's new and it does things that mine just doesn't (including connect to the internet, not that Ma has the internet currently)... so, yeah, big fat gadget envy.

Once we'd played with the teevee enough we loaded the old CRT into the car and headed back to my place, stopping off on the way to dump it at a recycling centre that was on the way.

So yeah, that was our Saturday... and I still have vague gadget envy...

Current Mood:

No comments: