movies: despicable me 2

despicable me 2 - the spy who loved her
When I saw the original Despicable Me I was surprised by how sweet it was and how well the story worked.

While I don't think that Despicable Me 2 is anywhere near as well written a movie, it is a really funny movie.

In actual fact, the plot is a bit of a mess... they tried to cram to many things in, side plots that don't really add a whole lot, and the main plot isn't as clear cut as the first movie.

Fortunately that can somewhat be overlooked due to the number of laugh out loud funny moments. Most of them involve the Minions who I think play a much larger role this time around.

As with the first movie, the best characters are Gru himself (voiced by Steve Carell) and Anges (voiced by young Elsie Kate Fisher)... Anges is definitely where all the heart lies in both movies.

I can't say that I was overly enamoured with either Gru's love interest or the eventual villain.

And while the visual style wasn't on the same level as a Pixar movie, it's still a good looking movie, especially the hair/fur effects which look outstanding.

So while it's not the best animated movie I've seen in a while, it delivered the laughs I needed tonight.

yani's rating: 3 lipstick tasers out of 5

No comments: