photo friday: past and present

max heightroadside bolt

As I mentioned yesterday, I've felt a little bit like I've been underwater this week.

Not in the peaceful, naked swimming way... mostly in the "I've been sick" kind of way.

What started out last Sunday afternoon as possible hayfever degenerated into some other randomly non-specific illness, but I think I've dosed myself up with everything imaginable (I even had one of the girls at work give me a glass of apple cider vinegar) over the last five days and I seem to be mostly winning. I still sound horrible, but I don't feel like I want to crawl into a hole and die.

I think the underwater feeling has also come from the fact that I've been really busy at work for the majority of this week... Wednesday especially felt like it was just going from one meeting to another for the whole day... and at certain points this week I've really felt like the man with two eyes in the land of the blind and cyclops.

Or possibly the reverse... the one eyed man in the land of the sighted... whatever it was, I felt like I was seeing something different than everybody else and I can never work out why it is that other people don't seem to be able to communicate in a way that lets me know that they can understand this blisteringly obvious thing too.

I'm sure there's a less confusing way to write that... but buggered if I know what it is.

hibiscus fenceiron knob

My love affair with food trucks continues unabated... and there's a new player in town. So, at present the line-up looks like this:

Burgers: Burger Theory
Tacos: La Cantina Co
Beverages: Raw Thirst
Non Meat Alternative: Veggie Velo

I tried Veggie Velo for the first time this week (their haloumi and mushroom burger) and it's fucking tasty! In fact each mouthful was a different mixture of tastes. But then I do love me some haloumi.

Although technically VV isn't a food truck... it's more of a modified food cargo bike. Still awesome though.

Oh, and speaking of tastes... the third Burger Theory Art Burger (the Shizzle Burger) made an appearance this week... and I wasn't enthusiastic when I first heard about it, being that it was dressed with avocado. I've never been an avocado fan, but I am a Burger Theory fan (as anyone who knows me will attest... in fact one of the girls at work is convinced that I have a Burger Theory logo tattooed somewhere about my person... I don't, but the idea is interesting), plus I want to be able to say that I tried all of the Art Burgers.

So try the Shizzle Burger I did... and it was DELICIOUS!

Turns out that the avocado was an avocado, lemon and salt mash... which was so very tasty. And I love lemon/sour flavours at the best of times, so that combination of the lemon in the mash and the pickled red onions was really good.

Now there just needs to be a decent dessert option within the Adelaide food truck community (I'm not counting the yellow cupcake van as their cupcakes were dry and uninteresting the first and only time I've had them... I'd much rather go to BTS for my cupcakes) and I would be a very happy, if overfed, little bunny.


I finally got around to watching the finale of Season 9 of So You Think You Can Dance last night.

This season has definitely been an improvement over the last few, although I still don't think any of the recent ones have been as consistently good as "the golden age" of Seasons 4-6.

This year came close though and I ended up really getting connected with a number of the dancers who went all the way through to the finale. In fact three of the top four were amongst my favourites. And I don't think I've ever had a reaction to the moments before the winner's name was announced (for the boys anyway) quite like I did for this season.

I still say that the show needs a regular injection of work by Mia Michaels to really make it exceptional. And I think the episode completely devoted to dancing Mia routines from previous seasons this time pretty much reinforced that.

Ma and I ended up having a really in-depth discussion about the final four dancers and who we wanted to win and why (again, more specifically about the two male finalists) and at the end Ma did comment that it was weird that we were getting so into it... which is true, but that really is the point of shows like that when they're done well (and not done here in Australia). Plus it's doubly weird that when I first told Ma about SYTYCD back when Season 4 was screening she initially turned her nose up at the idea of the show. Now she's more of a hardcore fan of it than I am.

And thanks to the interwebz we didn't even have to wait to see if it was going to screen here on TV, I just grabbed the episodes right after they screened in the US. But if it does screen on TV at some stage I know that Ma will just watch it all again anyway.


I also managed to get hold of the last remaining Lego minifigure from Series 8... if I'd started at the beginning of the box instead of the end I would have actually found it really quickly.

And I definitely need to spend some time over this long weekend going through the 5GB of photos on my iPhone and deleting a ton of them... fun times... fun times...

Current Mood:

No comments: