photo friday: noble city keeper

sam evans - noble city keeperThis is a beautiful detail from a gorgeous piece of Sam Evans artwork called "Noble City Keeper" I bought from the Paper String Plastic gallery at lunch today... Sam was having a sale, and this one just spoke to me.

And it's on an envelope...

I really am turning into an art collector these days... who knew!

Other than that, today was something of a clusterfuck.

We went out for breakfast this morning to Kappy's on Flinders Street to celebrate some changes at work, and I don't know that I have EVER had such appalling bad service, or lackluster food.

Firstly, they didn't have the "ingredients" to make pancakes because they were popular yesterday... I'm sorry, you've had twelve hours, there's a supermarket in the Mall and another at the Market... sort yourself out.

I was apprehensive enough when the girl taking the orders seemed kind of all over the place...

Then the drinks came out in no particular order, and even though I was the third person to order, I was the second to last to get my coffee (and it was a good long time after I'd ordered). In fact, two people who came in about fifteen minutes after us got their coffees before I did.

When the first breakfast was brought out, the girl who had been taking the orders didn't seem to know the difference between "scrambled" and "poached" (always dangerous)... and after the first breakfast arrived nothing else came out for a good 25 minutes.

ITS EGGS AND BACON AND SAUSAGE AND TOAST... NOT FUCKING ROCKET SURGERY!

Speaking of toast... toast should have some colour to it or some indication that it has come into the presence of heat... it should not be bread that appears to have gotten a mild sunburn.

Then, as the useless girl ran past the table at some stage she supposedly mentioned that they'd lost two of the food orders (one of which was mine), but I didn't hear it as I had my head in my iPhone tweeting my displeasure.

They didn't offer us another beverage for free, they didn't do very much of anything really.

And when my food FINALLY came out (by which point I was completely over it, and yet ravenously hungry since I'd skipped my normal breakfast), not only did it not look like the previous order of exactly the same thing, but it was stunningly tasteless and lackluster.

If the service had been excellent but the food had been a little lackluster, I possibly could have forgiven them, but I find bad service unforgivable.

The food was actually worse than lackluster thought... I don't quite know what was wrong with it, but it sat really heavily in my system for the rest of the morning. Maybe that was just the side order of incompetence it was served with.

I am never, ever setting foot in Kappy's on Flinders Street ever again!

Moving on to nicer things...

I got my tax refund back on Thursday... yaaay... actually they stealthed it into my bank on Monday and I never got a letter about it until today, but I noticed it yesterday. Between that and the big bag of gold coins I took to the back, I've topped my bank account all the way back up to where it was before all the recent spending.

I think I've said before that I find it completely impossible to spend less than half an hour in the Paper String Plastic gallery... I get talking to the owner and time just evaporates. Although partially this time it was because there weren't any prices on the artworks and I had to wait unit Sam got there.

The downside of that was that I didn't actually have time for any lunch... helpful really...

I also picked up a little "Post It" piece of Sam's artwork that featured a snowman, which is going away for Ma for Christmas.

Oh, and as a quick update on my glasses... you know, the glasses that I ordered on July 5... I got a call yesterday saying that they were ready for me to pick up (again)... but as I was on my way to pick them up I got a phone call from them to say that they'd developed a stress fracture FOR THE THIRD TIME.

Thankfully this didn't happen today, otherwise I would have been all kinds of tired and emotional and may have spat my proverbial dummy. Three times they've come back and three times they've had a stress fracture.

Which, frankly, is kind of getting beyond a joke.

I'm more worried really that if they do come back this week and they're fine and I do pick them up finally, that they break while I'm away in Brisbane... because then there isn't a damn thing I can do about it until we get back.

So that's the state of my life currently... on the up side, although my appetite has been slightly spotty over the last few days (and today's breakfast adventure didn't help), I am feeling better. I piked on the gym for the majority of the week, but I think I needed the sleep more than I needed the exercise.

Did I mention that in a week's time I'll be packing for Brisbane?

Current Mood:

3 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

Was hoping to see more of Sam's artworks but, alas, the gallery doesn't seem to have a website ;-(

yani said...

They do have a Facebook page though... not sure Sam's work from the Friday sale will be featured though since it was only for one day.

Some of Sam's work is on his website:
http://artofsamevans.blogspot.com/

Sam Evans said...

SALUTE MUCHACHOS LOOK WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GOOGLE YOUR NAME...ITS SAM HERE ADD US ON FB UNDER 'GARY PHILLIPS' AND YOU CAN BROWSE REMAINING ARTWORKS FROM THE SALE TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT. ITLL MAKE YOUR LIFE A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE