a return to normal shopping saturdays

this has no real connection to today's post other than i bought broccoli... and i was bored with shopping related imagesI got up at 5:30 this morning... or thereabouts anyway... I don't really remember beyond knowing that the time started with a 5. And knowing that I had to open up my front door and put the fan in the doorway to try and cool the place down... which I did... and it wasn't even properly light at that stage...

I also woke up with a filthy headache, quite possibly caused by the hideous weather yesterday and the fact I slept with the evaporative cooler about a foot from me most of the night... or maybe I was dehydrated or who the hell knows really.

Last night I pulled down all of my toy soldiers and other random Christmas decorations and bundled them all back into storage boxes ready to return for another 11 months of slumber under my bed until next Christmas... which is a little bit sad, but I do have my toy soldier pendant now, so at least I can wear him all year long.

Anyway, because it was hot and I wasn't exactly moving at warp speed (and the fact that I decided to document all my toy soldiers... turns out that including the pendant, I have 65), it probably took longer than it otherwise should have. Essentially it took about two hours, and all I did was take everything down...

I couldn't face putting all the stuff that's been in storage over Christmas back up last night, so I left that (and general tidying up) until this morning... and it took about an hour and a half... and there was still some of the toy soldiers that didn't have a spot...

But fortunately I had time to have a shower and get ready by the time Ma arrived...

It's been nearly a month since Ma and I actually went shopping together... but since the supermarket and our routine never really change it was weirder when we weren't doing it than it was coming back to it.

And supermarket shopping is supermarket shopping is supermarket shopping... nothing ever really changes, except for random impulse buys now and again. Although you have worry about a checkout chick who isn't sure about apricots and doesn't recognise a passionfruit...

The kids of today!

Anyway, after shopping we came back here to do the usual unpacking.

And because the Adelaide Fringe 2011 Guide came out in today's paper I ended up poring through the guide, marking a bunch of stuff as possibilities... currently that stands at about 22 shows (plus some visual art stuff), but I'm pretty sure it will come down to about half that once I examine everything more closely. But it looks like there could be some returns to shows I saw last year (or at least new shows by the same artists), and a couple of the things that I missed out on last year. We'll see.

Once we were done with all of that, we headed off to Good Guys because Ma wanted to get a new evaporative cooler like the one I bought at the end of last year (you know, a week ago)... and we wandered around and looked at microwaves too... I'm definitely getting a Panasonic again... this one has lasted at least ten years, but I think I want one of the sexy stainless steel looking ones. They do have one which doesn't have a turntable, which is very weird, but cool... but that only comes with a white face...

Anyway, when we finally got somebody to serve us, Ma bought the cooler and we packed it in the back of the car, then toddled off to Arndale to look at storage boxes for my toy soldiers.

Arndale is a little weird at the moment... a bunch of the stores seem to be empty but a bunch seem to be getting the full on makeover treatment, possibly in a effort to make the whole shopping centre more "upmarket"... which does immediately bring to mind the phrase "lipstick on a pig"...

But one of the benefits was that the pokey little gift store is now one of a chain, and they had some of the Heartwood Creek figures... including Mickey Mouse as The Nutcracker... so thanks to Christmas money, that's 66 toy soldiers (67 if you count the one on the way from eBay).

I kinda ended up goofing (no pun intended given the Mickey reference... and if you didn't get that, it probably wasn't actually a pun anyway, so lets move on) on the storage box... I got one, and some of the stuff from the existing box fitted into it, which meant there was room in there for some extra stuff... but I got a smaller one than I thought I was buying, so it's probably going to have to be replaced before next Christmas anyway.

When we came out of Arndale (after stopping off for a very insipid iced tea from Gloria Jeans) it was raining, so we decided to skip any extra shopping adventures and just head back to my place and open up... which we did after a quick stop at Perrymans to buy some lunch (and lunch for me for tomorrow).

Even though it was only about 1:30 by the time we got back, I think it was about 3pm by the time Ma left... what with eating lunch, repacking boxes, sorting everything out, looking up solutions to Professor Layton puzzles Ma was stuck on and then loading up the car... it all took a while.

Have I mentioned that this toy soldier thing is becoming an addiction?

Anyway, that was pretty much my day...

Current Mood:

No comments: