movies: harry potter and the deathly hallows part i

harry potter and the deathly hallows part i - the end beginsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 made me cry... in fact I cried in pretty much the same spots as I cried in the book...

And it turned into the "Ugly Cry" at the end... although the quiet ugly cry.

I'm just glad they didn't give him clothes like they do in the book, otherwise I would have been a complete and total basket-case.

Like the book though, this is a very different movie to all of the others, not so much in tone (in that regard I think it shares territory with both The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Half Blood Prince), but just from the fact that they don't go off to Hogwarts and solve a grand mystery with a lot of daring-do.

Sure, there is still daring-do, but there's a whole lot more "running for their lives" (as seen on the poster above).

I've only read the book once though, so I only really remembered one or two scenes from it... although as things started to unfold in the movie, more and more of it came back to me, even if I couldn't accurately describe the things that they kept in and the things they left out for the most part.

I guess I was also slightly surprised at how sad the movie felt as a whole (which I suppose makes sense... there really isn't a lot of light and humour in the book either from what I can remember) and how incredibly tender parts of it are.

I think that really comes down to the fact that rather than having actors who only met a couple of weeks beforehand behaving like they've known each other for years and years... we're actually watching three actors who have known each other for ten years... or what amounts to pretty much half of their lives. And it shows, especially in the scenes between Rupert Grint and Emma Watson... there is an incredibly sweetness there... and the way that he looks at her is just beautiful.

Actually it's amazing how much they've all progressed as young actors... I've just watched the first six movies, and compared to the first one, they're a million miles away.

It also looks really beautiful... the locations (they're finally out of that castle and in the real world), the cinematography, the visual effects... it all comes together nicely... although I will say that it was a slight shock to see a much more photo-realistic house elf this time around.

Oh, and the animation used to illustrate the origin story for the titular Hallows is just gorgeous!

And while it ended in a logical spot, I do kind of feel like I felt at the end of the first Lord of the Rings movie... you've stopped the story mid stream, and I want to know more!

yani's rating: 4 horcrux out of 5

No comments: