signal vs noise

listening for signalsYou know what... I really need to get better at listening for signals amongst the noise. Although that does kinda contradict my "everything happens for a reason" philosophy...

Ahhh, contradictions, gotta love em...

In this particular instance it's a piddly little thing... although I do wonder if it's indicative of something more. And maybe it is... although maybe it's just what it is... a missed opportunity.

Ooooh... it's obviously introspective Sunday... *rolls eyes*...

Like I said... it's a piddly thing. Before we went to Melbourne I spotted an inexpensive but decent looking digital set top box at Big W. I think I saw it on at least two occasions, and both times I picked it up, thought about it and then put it back on the shelf.

That would have been fine... I mean I've been intending to get one, but it's on the "gunna" list. It'll have to happen before the analogue signal gives out... but that's not until 2013, so I have some time up my sleeve. And given the quality of most of the stuff that's appearing on the new channels, it's not something that I feel compelled about.

Of course, now that Channel 7 has joined the digital teevee age and started their own second digital channel, they're moving some shows over to the new station... including Heroes, which just sucks monkeynuts. They didn't care enough about the show's fans to put it on the regular station at a reasonable time, but now they're just moving it across to another station to show at 8:30 (we'll see how long that lasts). They better not try that with Lost (and even saying that, I know they will).

I'd intended to have a look for a STB on Saturday, but it completely slipped my mind until today, so I headed down to Arndale this afternoon to see if they still had the ones I'd seen. And of course they didn't.

They did have ones that were more expensive, but I wasn't sure I was willing to commit double the amount of money I'd intended to... there were also some ones that were cheaper than the one I'd seen originally, but it also looked like a cheap and nasty piece of crap.

Bah!

So now I'm conflicted between trying to rush around between now and Wednesday to try and find something I like in the right price range, or just forego this season of Heroes. The other alternative is to try my hand at the download thing, see how that works out.

See... the Universe was sending me signals, and all I was hearing was noise... and now here I am.

And I'm not even going into the whole "I have no external aerial, only rabbbit ears" thing, nor the "my teevee is hooked up to my DVD player which is hooked up to my stereo which is hooked up to the teevee" drama... I'm sure I can't be the only person on the planet whose audio visual set-up is complicated.

Current Mood:

No comments: