going digital

good evening, and welcome to television"Good evening, and welcome to television."

Those were the immortal words uttered by Bruce Gyngell on 16 September 1956 in Sydney when television came to Australia.

The advent of digital television to the House of Yani wasn't quite such an elegant affair... for one it didn't involve a suit, or a particularly memorable soundbite. It also involved a bit more grunting and swearing and general confusion, since I thought the set top box was switched on when it was actually on standby... so when I turned it "off" it suddenly started working.

I think I said "oh!"...

I am a very happy bunny though, because not only did it all come together when I'm using "rabbit ears" instead of an external aerial, but the picture quality on ALL the channels is so much better than the analog signal. But then I suppose that's the point really isn't it.

And I'm currently watching Martha... hehehe... she's a scary woman!

Current Mood:

2 comments:

Tom said...

2009 is the year of YaniTech... broadband, digital TV... what next?! iPhone? ;)

I've got digital through a little aerial on top of my TV - not quite bunny ears, but that sort of thing. Anyway, it works really well unless there's an electrical storm in which case it goes all pixellated and the sound stops being in sync with the vision. But that's a small price to pay for ABC2 and the other SBS channels you get on top of the standard lot!

yani said...

Well all that's left is the new mobile phone on the horizon... hehehe... and yes, the iPhone is on the shortlist :P

The only thing I don't like about the set top box is that when it's on standby there's this giantass red LED light on the front of it... I mean, really... why? The only other drawback is it means yet ANOTHER remote control that I have to mess with...