montage monday: thirty five

thirty fiveGuess how old I am now...

Yeah, it's not really much of a mind scrambler is it.

I mentioned to Ma at dinner on Saturday that I'm not sure if 35 is the bottom of the valley before the long climb up to 40 or the top of peak before the all too quick slide down to the same place (it made more sense on Saturday because I was using visual aids, ie the dessert menu)... not that I'm overly stressed about getting to my next "0" birthday, I managed the last one fine.

Unlike a usual Monday Montage, I didn't restrict myself just to house numbers or external signage or anything... there's my bedside clock, my mobile, a roll of film and a page from a novel (bonus points if anybody recognises it) amongst others. It did however point out to me the absolute insanity of building/house numbering in both North Adelaide and the city... skipping numbers seemingly at random, or having both odd and even numbers on the same side of the street (where the street faces onto parklands) with no real pattern to it.

Anyway...

Around noon I headed off to Rockchick's "Farewell Lunch" (and managed to avoid being rained on, although I did take a jacket which I'm not certain I really needed)... she doesn't actually leave until Thursday (or possibly Friday, I'm a little fuzzy on the details to be honest), all I know is that I start back at The Nut House on Thursday and there's enough time for a handover.

It wasn't bad... we went to The Wakefield Hotel (formerly The Bridge Under Troubled Bad Moon Rising Damp or something)... which looks much better than the last time I was there, but they'd gussied up the menu so much that there wasn't a burger (which is usually what we all end up with)... so I had steak instead. Which wasn't bad (although it means I'll be having steak for two out of three meals today).

Interestingly, even though I know it was on the calendar on the wall at work, nobody mentioned my birthday... so neither did I (I also didn't mention Watchmen to Sugarmonkey and H-San, but that can always be brought up later)... there was never really an appropriate time to slip it into the conversation, plus it's not my responsibility to remind them, it's up to them to remember (or not).

One thing that did strike me was when I was watching Rockchick eat (slightly unavoidable when she's sitting across from me)... she's a tiny little birdlike thing at the best of times, but she was cutting seemingly tiny pieces of her steak, not to mention the accompanying chips. Granted her steak kind of ended up looking like she'd been chewing it rather than cutting it (and she didn't finish it all), but I did kind of have an "I really should be more like that" moment... I'm invariably the first one to finish eating whenever I'm out with people, and I think part of it is that I go with the caveman approach to cutting my food... big chunks. So we'll see how that works out... I know I'll end up forgetting (plus half the time I don't eat things that require cutting), but it's worth a shot.

And after two phone calls I finally got a little bit of love (potentially anyway) from my Rental Agent... now let's see if it actually works out properly...

Current Mood:

3 comments:

Tom said...

Do we add them all up, or multiply them? :P

Did you wait until it was 35 minutes past the hour, or did you set it for the photo?

Love Love from the Rental Agent, or love love?

So many questions. :P

yani said...

If you choose to spend the time multiplying 35 x 35 x 35, etc... then go right ahead (and let me know the results, I can't be bothered personally)... however, with the adding thing I only occasionally feel like I'm 875...

It would be nice to say that I waited until it was 35 past, but we both know that's a lie...

Well, their phone answering dude sounds kinda cute... but I'm not sure it's either... more like "stuff they should be doing"... :P

The Mutant said...

Happy Birthday Yani!

Don't worry about descents or ascents, just love it for being what it it. the present!