fashion poor shopping

after too many hours of shopping they found themselves in the dimly lit 'shop of blue'Well that wasn't quite as productive a shopping day as I was hoping for...

After a somewhat meagre Supermarket Safari (although I finally remembered to buy more crushed garlic... even if I just now remembered that I forgot to go across the road to the butcher and buy chicken breasts... dammit) and a quick yet pointless tool around the same Red Circle I was at on Thursday, we headed off to Marion.

I'm gunna be honest, after failing to find anything decent at two other Red Circles I wasn't really holding out much hope, but I figured there were any number of other stores to look in, so you never know your luck. However my luck regarding clothes just at the moment obviously isn't great...

I think it's enough to say I didn't find a damn appropriate thing... which is fine for now on the businesswear front (I'm going to see if my dry-cleaners can sew up my old pants), but I really need a new pair of trackpants for my walk... the one's I'm using at present aren't great (but at least they're in one piece).

In some ways it was good to actually have a goal to aim for rather than just wandering about aimlessly... yes we did some of that too, but I do prefer a sense of shopping purpose.

It also seemed to be a day for odd conversations with random people... we were in JB HiFi and I happened to have a copy of the first season of Secret Diary of a Call Girl (love, love, love, love) in my hand and one of the alternagirls who works there struck up a brief conversation with me about the second season.

1986's barbie and the rockers, 1977's superstar barbie, 1971's malibu barbie, 1967's twist 'n' turn barbie, 1962's brunette bubble cut barbie, 1959's original black and white bathing suit barbieAnd when we were in Big W we'd stopped near the entrance to look at the vintage Barbies (from 1959, 1962, 1967, 1971, 1977 and 1986) they've re-released for B's 50th birthday year. Some of them are pretty cool (and in equal parts really dorky, 1977's Superstar Barbie, I'm looking at you here)... I'm just glad and annoyed in equal parts that they didn't have one from 1974 (seriously, what the hell would I do with Box O' Barbie?)...

Anyway, we were standing there looking at them and this woman (who couldn't have looked less like Barbie other than being blonde) stopped and was looking too, and then randomly commented (as she picked up the 1959 doll) that she was also born in 1959, her name was also Barbie (I'm guessing it's Barbara really, but let's not burst her bubble) and she was turning 50 tomorrow. So what could one do other than wish her a happy birthday for tomorrow... which I did.

See, weird random interactions with strangers... and I seemed to be making eye contact with random boys more than usual... whether it was just because I didn't really care if they knew I was looking, or whether it was because I was wearing my Playtime with Becky for the first time in a while, and people do have a tendency to stare at it.

That was about it for the shopping stuff though...

When we got back to my place I decided to go through my wardrobe, chuck out some old stuff I don't wear any more. Partially it's just good to get rid of the crap, but mostly I was doing it because I was fast running out of room in the wardrobe, especially now that I've bought several new things. Unfortunately I've previously cleaned out most of the stuff that's obviously no longer needed, so I'm kind of down to some of the judgement call stuff... "I like it but I never wear it" or "It still fits, but..." items. I did give up on a couple of the "I'll be able to fit into that eventually" pieces, they might as well go to somebody who can use them now rather than taking up space in my wardrobe.

And now it just kind of feels like I'm filling in time until the comedy show tonight... and I can't decide whether to take the car in or come up with some other transport plan...

Current Mood:

No comments: