perfect ten

matthew mitcham wins gold"Mitcham's final dive was the highest scoring dive in Olympic history..."

Okay, so I'm the King of the Hypocrites... I couldn't even tell you how many gold medals Australia has won, but when out gay diver Matthew Mitcham wins gold I have to mention it.

"Mitcham is one of only a few "out" gay athletes in Beijing and the first Australian to openly declare his homosexuality going into an Olympics..."

Which is almost as impressive as his dive...

He scored 112.10 points (out of a maximum 114) with a back 2 and a half sommersault 2 and a half twists dive... and he went from 9th spot to 2nd after his second dive (which I'm pretty sure I saw on teevee last night)...

Go Matthew, it's your birthday, not for real-real, just for play-play...

Ahem...

I was also amused by the comment of the 14 year old British diver... you know there were all kinda of media consultants and team officials shaking their heads after he said it though...

"Matthew Mitcham today was absolutely fantastic and I am so glad that a non-Chinese person won, said young British rival Thomas Daley, after the Australian's win raised the spirits of foreign divers who had seemed doomed to only second-best."

UPDATE: After I finished writing this post I went into the lounge room and figured I would flick the teevee onto the Olympic coverage just in case they happened to show Matthew's dive... and what did I tune right into... yep, Matthew's dive...

And I got all teary eyed watching it (hello, tragic much!)... he's so fucking adorable and so sweet (and SOOOO gay, but cute with it) and just his reactions when he got out of the pool, before he even got his score... in a word, ADORABLE!

Current Mood:

No comments: