queer as

queer as folkNothing much happened today, but it's been interesting never the less.

I finally restarted my walk this morning (I really need to redo that map, it hasn't been right for ages and ages)... and it was okay. I basically just went out there and did the full thing, didn't really favour my knee or anything... and I'm still alive.

It was slightly odd though. Everything looked the same, but at the same time it all looked a little bit different. I think most of the different was in my head though. And to be honest I think the walking was actually good for my knee. It never really twinged, it never ceased up, it just felt like it was getting a good stretch. Granted after I'd been sitting down for a while it was a bit stiff (no jokes thanks), but you get that.

On the upside, it only started raining when I was nearly home again... on the downside, it pretty much hasn't stopped raining since then (well, I'm not actually sure it IS a downside since I haven't had to go out in it and I've been curled up watching DVDs).

Anyway, the other thing of interest I did today was start rewatching the original Queer As Folk.

I'm only halfway through, but damn I'd forgotten how good and how annoying it is in equal measure. Annoying because pretty much all of the characters need a slap, and good because, well, it reminded me of the very first time I saw it, and what was going on in my life at the time. In fact, a lot of the music triggered off memories of it's own.

It also reminded me so much about how very REAL the original UK version is next to it's glossy and seemingly neverending American cousin. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed quite a bit of the American version, more so after they stopped adapting the script from the original and started writing their own stories, but it comes back to something I've said about English versus American productions on a previous occasion...

There is such a total difference between American produced movies and their English cousins... American movies are slick and pretty and clean and full of either attractive or at least average looking supporting actors, whereas English movies, other than the Jane Eyre/Bronte Sister type period pieces, are quite gritty and real and full of the most extraordinary looking people... but REAL people.

And that seems totally appropriate for the original QAF... the pub and club scenes, even just the regular random street scenes aren't full of hard bodied beautiful extras, there are a range of guys... old, young, fat, thin, attractive, etc... in fact a number of the guys that Stuart "cops off" with are actually kinda "interesting looking". But they're real people, which I like.

Now I just need to finish the other half...

Current Mood:

No comments: