unplanned shopping

the little old manToday was something of a "Make It Up As We Go" kind of day...

In theory we had a game plan, but that kind of fell apart pretty early in the game.

Food Shopping Adventures™ was about the same as usual... blah blah mushrooms... blah blah white grapes... blah blah Iced Coffee... blah blah two types of cheese...

We then took our usual wander around Red Circle, although before we even got into the store I found one of those "gingerbread kits" (the kind where they give you the gingerbread and you decorate it yourself and make Santa's sleigh or a house or a train or some other tragic object) for $2... so, if nothing else, I'll be able to enjoy the gingerbread. Then on the way back out we saw a tin of Licorice Allsorts (which Ma quite likes... I only like the things covered in pink or blue hundreds and thousands... no idea what they're called), so I went back in, through the same checkout and got those too.

Oh, and what the hell is up with the stores putting out Easter eggs already... it's JANUARY for fuck's sake! Can't they at least just put out the Back to School junk now, then the Valentine's stuff, and THEN the Easter things? Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid...

After the usual unpacking and paper reading and whatnot, I suggested to Ma that we go down to Port Adelaide to see the sand sculpture Dinostory thing they have down there... and we haven't been down to the Port in a while now, although, really, there isn't THAT much stuff going on down there.

Anyway, we headed down there (after a brief detour so that I could see if some of the street art I'd photographed a while back was actually still there... and it was), and hit Black Diamond Square... and they wanted to charge us $9.50 each to go and look at some dinosaurs carved in sand. I don't think so. So instead we just kind of wandered about a little aimlessly... spied on the sculptures through the fence (which wasn't easy, since they had some blue mesh stuff up to specifically stop people doing exactly that)... and just kind of didn't do much of anything really. Looked in one of the little arty gifty store places, took a photo or two... then went back to the car.

Since we were in the neighbourhood we decided to go to The Mill Bakehouse for lunch (again) and indulge in one of their GORGEOUS lemon tarts (almost better than sex... almost). We originally thought about heading back to the Port so we could go to Kmart and a couple of other places... but then (after getting a little lost trying to find the "Ship Graveyard" nearby) we figured we might as well go down to West Lakes.

We didn't really make it much further than upstairs in David Jones before I had to go back to the car, since we found these really big and pretty cool cooler bags (no pun intended), and ended up getting like four of them... one in each colour to possibly give away next Christmas, and one for us/Ma.

There was just a few other random bits and pieces we picked up here and there... a cheap book here... some more fruit and groceries and a "lunch bag" (cooler bag thing) for Ma (although she wouldn't get the one with the seahorse on it that came with it's own little drink bottle... but it was intended for about an 8 year old)... and that was that really...

Then on the way back to my place I suggested we call into Ikea since it was only a couple of major roads over (and they had a candlestick I wanted to look at, but which turned out to be much more expensive than I thought). We didn't really stay long, kind of powered through the downstairs area, stopped to look at the candlesticks and stuff, then got hung up by all the cut price Christmas stuff, including some really cool star lights that had been somewhat pricey, but were now marked down to $1... and other things we'd bought last time we were there at full price that were now marked down to 50c. How rude!

I just need to figure out where the hell I'm going to put the pretty white star lights, and if they should be used in conjunction with, or instead of the "fairy lights" I already have. Decisions, decisions...

And now I need to sort myself out (maybe take a shower, certainly change my shirt) for J's "dinner party" tonight. Actually I think it's possibly going to be the least "dinner party-like" of all his "dinner parties, since I think it's going to be me, J, S and J2 sitting around eating takeout. I did say to J the other day though that if the boys were all going to head out to Mars afterwards then I might come with... which would make today some sort of red letter day, I'm sure, since I haven't been out on the scene in at LEAST four years, maybe more.

Of course that was before my hip started doing weird "dislocating" things when I bent down somewhere to find something on a low shelf... and then it did it again here while I was unpacking, and again when I was just sitting perfectly still in the car. So we'll see...

Have to make sure I can stay awake first!

Current Mood:

No comments: