i bin workin on the railroad...

garden planAll the livelong day...

Actually I haven't been working on the railroad at all, that's a big fat lie...

Being a website temp is a little like being a landscape gardener in some ways I guess... or at least it was when I thought up this analogy just before hometime...

Sometimes you get to the place and find that the person who wants the garden has marked out their ideal garden beds, fertilised the soil, gotten rid of any rocks or weed or whatever, and even been to the garden center and bought the plants they would like to put in... but they’re not always sure on the best way to lay them out.

Other places they don’t really know what kind of garden they want, they’re not completely sure what kind of plants they might like and sometimes they’re not even sure exactly where they want the garden to go.

Then there are the types who, when you show up, already have a garden in place, but it’s usually badly laid out, often overgrown with weeds, the soil is full of rocks, and if you’re really lucky there is more than one gardener who wants input into how the garden is laid out and often one of them actually doesn't want you to change the garden beds, or in extreme cases, even pull up the weeds or remove the rocks… just make them all pretty-like...

Guess which kind I showed up to work for today?

Yep... the latter kind...

I'm still not entirely sure what the hell I'm doing, or supposed to be doing, or whatever... although I did kind of get a better hold on it as the day progressed, and I think once I actually (to continue the gardening analogy) get the ground stripped back to bare soil and can actually get a proper look at the size and shape of the garden beds, I'll pretty much be okay.

And the "gardener" who may annoy me wasn't actually in today, but I just got that vibe... between a look at the desk and just discussions with the woman I'm working with, I can see that one is going to be a bit of a challenge.

I may also begin to miss seeing sunlight... I got up in the dark to go for my walk (ie 6am)... saw a little of the sunrise on the way back, saw a little sun on the way into work, but you know, tall buildings in the way and all... but the desk they've given me doesn't point anywhere near a window, so I didn't actually know it was raining or cloudy or whatever until somebody came back at lunchtime and mentioned it... and by the time I was leaving tonight it was already sunset, not to mention the whole cloudy thing, so you know, less sun there.

On the upside, I actually have my own desk, my own login and my own email... and sometime this week I should get my own security card, so that will be nice... nice, of course, being a relative term... in this instance meaning "better than the alternative".

That's about it really... it is, after all, work... and it's never that thrilling. Although the other thing I was thinking about on the way home was if you give me a job I love where I actually enjoy what I'm doing and enjoy coming to work and dealing with the stuff I have to deal with, then, so long as I'm occupied for the majority of the time, even though I might bitch and moan about it while I'm doing it, I'll still continue to do it pretty much forever, just because I like it. Put me somewhere where everything is an uphill struggle on the otherhand, and, well... that won't ever go so well.

Current Mood:

No comments: