kite flying festival fun

sky full of kites 2007Today was all about the 10th Adelaide International Kite Festival baby!

After the usual Random Shopping Adventures, we hauled ass out to Semaphore to check out the kites. Which makes something like three weekends in a row that we've ended up down that way...

First it was the Seahorse Farm, and the same weekend it was my Birthday (well, the Monday actually)... then Collectors on Tour... and this week, the Kite Festival. We're not going anywhere near the Port next weekend... honest!

Anyway, I'd been to the Kite Festival once before... not last year, or else I would have blogged about it, but, I think, the year before... only I went on my own because I think that Ma was away that particular weekend... or I didn't find out about it until the last minute, or some randomness anyway. But oddly enough this time around there was a story about a kite in one of the books I was reading a while back, and it made me think of the Festival, so I looked it up online and made the appropriate note in my diary.

I have to say... Kites are just cool... they're pretty and they're all floaty and whatever... I like kites. It was pretty perfect kite day too... once we were down at the beach the wind was going screaming along, although the slightly annoying announcer lady (who just wouldn't shut up) did say that it was a little too windy for some of the kites, which made some of them be a little up and down... but all in all I think there were more this time than I remember from last time.

And if they'd been selling kites like the white Japanese carp one in the photo below, I would so own one right now... but they weren't, so I don't...

fishy kites 2007Ma did buy one though... not so much a kite as a wind sock "jellyfish" thing to go out on her back porch.

So after wandering back and forth along the jetty and getting both sun and windburned looking at all the pretty kites, we called it a day (mostly because I was starting to feel burned, otherwise I think we could have hung out there for ages and ages)... I probably should have applied sunscreen before we left (except it was kind of cloudy when we left my house) and taken my hat with me (although that might have gone flying off into the wide blue yonder given the wind)... but I didn't, so now I'm burned... again...

Bloody stoopid pale, easily burnt skin...

Anyway, after we were over it, we tootled back down the road headed for my place, and decided that we would try calling off at the little deli place that we tried going to during my Pre-Birthday Adventures but was closed due to the public holiday. Queen Street Deli (Number 76 on the list of 101 Food Secrets) was open this time though, and very nice... possibly a little chi-chi-la-la and a touch overpriced maybe, but nice... cute boy staff members (any place that has a boy with Harry Potter glasses and a nasal septum piercing working there is okay by me) too... so we might have to go back there another day and have actual breakfast there.

Current Mood:

No comments: