quick quiche

quiche 2007I have to say that I'm actually quite fond of quiche... the whole "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" thing notwithstanding... although, as a gay man, is liking quiche playing into the stereotype... who the hell knows... and honestly I don't even think it matters anymore...

Where was I... oh yes, quiche...

For whatever reason I seem to be going through all my favourite "family recipes" of late and either reintroducing them to my ongoing repertoire or else making them myself for the first time... and I'm up to my old favourite, the Quick Quiche... a lot of the things that stuck around in the family cookbook were things that generally didn't take a whole hell of a lot of time or effort... there are some exceptions to that rule, but a lot of it is actually quite simple to make.

And anything where you throw all the ingredients into a bowl, mix it up, then throw it in the oven sounds good to me...

I actually added a couple of cups of grated vegetables to mine... a carrot, a zucchini, the aforementioned onion and, although I know Tom will be making that face, mushroom. And after observing that the whole thing puffed up quite a bit during cooking, I did actually wonder if maybe I had added too much... but it never spilled over the edge and it seemed to calm down once it came out of the oven. It did seem a little less solid than usual once I cut into it, but it wasn't bad overall.

If you're just doing the "plain" version, you can add some tomato slices to the top of the quiche (over the cheese) which finishes it off nicely.

Quick Quiche

3 eggs
1½ cups milk
¾ cup pastry mix
½ cup chopped bacon or ham
1 chopped onion
½ cup grated cheese
parsley, salt and pepper

Mix eggs, milk and pastry mix together until smooth, then add all other ingredients (except the cheese) and combine thoroughly. Pour into a greased pie plate or quiche dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top and then bake for approximately 40 minutes at 180ºC.

Current Mood:

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

There is nothing wrong with loving quiches!! :) One of my all time favourite dishes is this tuna asparagas quiche my ex used to make. I could inhale half a quiche in one sitting - it's very very morish. *drool*

Tom said...

That looks delicious. :)

I used to hate the things though. I remember as a child going to some great aunt's for lunch and being entirely bemused that she had combined all my hated things - mushroom quiche followed by rhubarb crumble.

The mushrooms I still avoid, I don't come across rhubarb too often these days, but quiches I actually now quite enjoy.

The deli about 200m from my flat does a good smoked salmon and spinach one.

It's all in the cooking though - it's got to be nicely browned on the top with a crispy base - there's nothing worse than a limp quiche! :P