i lost...

I just got my reply about my parking ticket...

Thank you for your letter regarding the Parking Infringement involving Vehicle no. XXX-XXX in Johns Lane, Adelaide on 30 July, 2006.

As you are already aware, your vehicle was reported on this occasion while it was parked facing the wrong direction on the eastern side of Johns Lane.

I have visited Johns Lane and while I acknowledge that the carriageway is very narrow, the exigencies of the area necessitate that Johns Lane remain a two-way street. Johns Lane extends from Gilles Street and then bends, running east to Pulteney Street. As there are entrances to premises in Johns Lane, our Traffic Department has deemed it necessary that Johns Lane serves as a two-way carriageway.

Under the provisions of the Australian Road Rules, when you are required to park parallel to the kerb on a two‑way road, the vehicle must be parked facing the direction of the traffic flow on your side of the road. The ruling is imposed for reasons of road safety, as vehicles which are parked facing the wrong direction may create a road safety risk for drivers moving on the carriageway, when parked vehicles re-join the traffic flow, and this point is especially pertinent at this location any incorrectly parked vehicle could pose a traffic hazard for drivers turning who have entered Johns Lane from Pulteney Street.

The requirement to park correctly is absolute and applies in all situations, regardless of the driver’s perception of the situation. As road safety is at issue in this situation, the Adelaide City Council does not regard this type of offence as trivial or the imposition of the ruling as petty or technical.

Consideration has been given to the matter however, all the information available confirms that the vehicle was validly reported and there are no grounds on which to cancel the Infringement. A Notice is attached for payment by 31 August, 2006.


Yeah, they gave the matter tons of consideration... a whole six hours...

Grrrr... is it just me or does the whole letter just sound patronising and condescending... I mean I parked my car in the street and said that I'd parked there numerous times before... I KNOW how the street is arranged... and at no point did I suggest that is wasn't supposed to be a two-way street...

And I still completely disagree with the assessment that it was "especially pertinent at this location"... from where I was parked you can see part way around the corner... and it's not going to make an difference which way you pull out and drive off, the "risks" will be the same.

So as far as the Parking Administration Officer is concerned, the phrase "And the horse you rode in on" is the closest to my feelings currently...

Current Mood: cranky

2 comments:

Tom said...

That's a bit of a bugger.

What an interesting job the Parking Administration Officer has! At least their letter did mention some of the facts of your case, so it wasn't a complete mailmerge job!

yani said...

Sadly yes, I'm going to have to... If the traffic ticket system still worked the way it used to here in SA, I might have thought about going to court... since I used to be on the other side of the fence, and know how the system worked... but it's all changed now, and I really can't be bothered... plus if I did lose, it would just cost more...