reflections

I found this while I was digging through some old papers... it originally bubbled up in my head on a drive to a friend's place for dinner... when I got there I asked her for a piece of paper and a pen and for five minutes on my own... this was the result...

I sleep, I dream, and there I find them. The Lifetaker, the Healer and the Warrior.

They look at me, regard me through space and time, and we wear the same face. We look nothing alike, these three and me, but we all wear the same face.

They move, slow and rhythmically, like people move in a dream, and each motion repeats. One movement, four bodies, perfectly aligned, completely in sync.

We wear black, it is our colour, the colour of the darkness we all carry, we all bear. They wear armour, leather, silk. I wear simpler garments, my style not as confined to a time and place as they are.

I watch them, envy them, desire them, want to be them. But I also fear them.

They are everything I can never, will never, be. Am unable to be.

The Lifetaker is forever young, desired, desirable. He knows his place, has a clan, a place to belong, and knows it will be so forever. I envy him this, this ease of belonging.

The Healer too belongs, knows his place, but his is from his purpose, his role. He has a loving partner, a devoted, caring lover. And a beautiful, loving child. I have no wish for a child, but I envy the love they give him. They affirm his place, give him strength.

The Warrior I know least of all. I know he exists, I see him, I feel him. But I do not know him. He is skilled, brave, calm and he too has a purpose.

I reach out to touch them, take some of them into me. But when my fingers touch them, they waiver, like a reflection in water, once touched it is broken by ripples, and only when the water calms does the image return.

I know now. They are me, are parts of me. They are reflections of how I view myself in the world.

I grow strong from them, draw their strength into me always. They look at me, their eyes are mine, and we smile, we know now.

And I wake.


Current Mood: sunday afternoon blahs

No comments: