massive jump

67 to 1004 pageloadsI've been running StatCounter on my blog since December 7 last year, and the numbers have been pretty average for most of that time... around 56 pageloads and 33 unique visitors a day.

Which is why I almost had a heartattack when I checked my stats on Friday morning... 1004 pageloads and 702 unique visitors... a jump of about 1800% (at least for the pageviews).

I wondered if I'd been hit by some sort of spam software thing or something... which would make my stats jump so much in the space of a day.

Checking out the "Came From" section it all started to make sense, it was all traffic from Tottyworld... I couldn't work out why though...

A quick jump over to Tottyworld solved the mystery... I got mentioned in one of his posts... because I'd pointed out where the AFL players had got their outfits in one of his earlier posts.

Kinda scary really, that one mention could make my stats jump so much so fast... they're still not quite back to normal yet... but they're dropping by over half each day, so tomorrow or Tuesday and it should all be over.

I have to say that this unexpected hike in visitors has made me kind of look at StatCounter again... the free version only gives you details for the last 100 visitors... what pages they looked at, where they came from, the keywords used to find my blog (it kind of amazes me that people regularly search for "yaniblog"... who are these people and why don't they have me bookmarked or blogrolled?), and what countries they're from.

It gives me more details, but those are the ones I use the most, since they're kind of interesting... I do kind of wish it gave me a bigger log size though... particularly for the keywords and the countries... but alas, that I would have to pay for.

I suppose I could look around for another freebie counter that does give me all that stuff without paying for it, but I'm lazy like that...

Current Mood: what a jump!

4 comments:

Larry said...

Currently I'm dishing out the nine bucks a month for the 1000 entry log at Statcounter. I usually check in 3 or 4 times a week to see who's been by my blog and it's always funny to see what keyword searches get people to my blog.

It is pretty crazy how people can have spikes like that. It's also kind of sad what some people will do just to get hits sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I love your site and you can count this Chicago regular as an unmet friend. I am a fan of your photos - whether the hotties you post or the ones from your walks. Thank you for letting me snoop into your life and the goings on down under.

Anonymous said...

Yo blue-eyes,

I found your site looking up Josh Pyke's "Middle of the Hill" song.

As a former Adelaide boy, it has been great to read your posts and to see some very sexxxy photos next to your local stuff. Very cool!

Have fun dude,
marcus

jjd said...

i'm with you on the lazy.. if you find something free lemme know please!

I check your blog out practically daily, as your stat counter should attest to!