rocky road for christmas

rocky road ingredientsI mentioned the other day that I'd picked up the ingredients to make homemade Rocky Road, and this morning (since it a lot cooler than it was yesterday, or will be the next couple of days) I figured I'd make it... Ma isn't making her usual vast array for sweet nibbly treats, so I figured I should step up to the plate and at least make Rocky Road...

I started off with:
  • 740 grams of Turkish Delight (there's a second container under the one in the picture)
  • 500 grams of marshmallows (I get the vanilla and raspberry (ie white and pink) ones for variation)
  • 250 grams of raw pistachio nuts (not the salted kind)
  • 750 grams of milk chocolate melts
  • 375 grams of dark chocolate melts
You could just use three packets of the milk (or dark), but I thought I'd try something different... plus Ma loves dark chocolate and I love milk chocolate... so this way we're both happy.

Cut the marshmallows into halves with a pair of (kitchen) scissors.

Chop the turkish delight roughly, I usually chop the individual pieces into quarters, but just go with what looks right to you.

Combine marshmallows, turkish delight and pistachios in a bowl and mix.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (aka a bowl over a pan of water).

Pour melted chocolate over the dry ingredients and mix.

rocky road doneLine a shallow baking tray with foil and pour rocky road mixture into it, spreading it out the cover.

Refrigerate until set, then cut into appropriate sized squares.

Enjoy!

If you wanted to get really festive, you could spoon the mix into individual paper cases (the ones you use for muffins) and can then be given as gifts.

Current Mood: culinarily successful

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

That looks oh so good...

ghostlight said...

mmmm. . .looks almost as good as the homemade fudge and toffee my grandma makes every year.