pancrepes

not mine, unfortunatelyFor some unknown reason, I decided last night that making up a batch of pancake batter for this morning would be a plan. Still not sure why... but I did it anyway... figuring that if the recipe said to leave it for at least an hour or two, then leaving it overnight would be even better.

Being from good British stock (and using a recipe from an English cookbook), my pancake batter was the British kind... more like a crepe than the American variation. Even though I've had pancakes just about every Shrove Tuesday, I don't know that I've ever really cooked them. Its not really like pancakes are rocket science though... how wrong can you go with flour, milk, eggs and a little melted butter?

I did screw it up once... many, many moons ago, back when I was still living at home, and a friend was staying with us after his girlfriend kicked him out... we used self-raising flour and the mix was a mess... so we ended up adding more and more flour and some cocoa, and making an only slightly less disastrous cake out of it...

Anyway... no such disasters befell me this time... and although the mix had split a little when I got it out of the fridge this morning, a quick whisk and it was all good.

I was kind of anticipating the whole thing to be a bit of a trainwreck... but all in all it worked out okay... I mangled the first couple, but they always kinda end up that way for whatever reason. I managed to set off my oversensitive smoke detector twice due to smoking butter... but sometimes thinking too hard about smoke sets it off...

Since it was a kind of brunch thing, I ended up eating them all... never good... all full of bloating floury goodness...

The scary thing was, after I was all done, I happened to switch off the video I'd been watching and flick through the teevee channels, and there was Ian "Huey" Hewitson on his cooking show making... you guessed it... crepes! And me with a belly full of pancake... it led to some semi-barfy feelings, let me tell you.

Current Mood: too much pancake

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

instead of making pancakes, make these really awesome breakfast variety of pancrepe. Take a 8 oz cottage cheese, 6 oz sour cream, 2 8 oz flavored (of your choice) yogart, and 2 eggs. Mix in a blender, once well blend, cook on stove top or flat grill just like pancakes. Top with a little (very little) syrup, and powdered sugar and enjoy!!!