movies: the island

the islandWell... The Island... what can I say?

I was a little hesitant to go and see it, since I'd read some less than complimentary things about it... basically that it was one big action scene with no real connecting plot, and there was a lot of product placement.

Well, the things I read were right... It was about 36 minutes of plot and/or talking, and 100 minutes of runnin' and duckin' and dodgin' and hidin'. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration... but it does feel like, once they get out into the world, that its one thing after another after another.

And the product placement... where do I start? It was almost like being in a two hour, big screen commercial... Puma, Speedo, Xbox, Amtrack, MSN, NBC , Tag Heuer, Ben and Jerry's, Mack, Cadillac, Nokia, Cisco, Calvin Klein, Aquafina... and I think American Express.

It wasn't even like they were subtle... they were so very very very obvious...

Having said all that, it was a pretty enjoyable 136 minutes... lots of action, so it keeps you entertained... even if I did spend a large portion of the time counting up all the product placement.

Course, Ewan McGregor is pretty damn watchable in anything... and putting him in the white uniform they wear in the facility doesn't hurt either...

yani's rating: 1 confused clone out of 5

No comments: