movies: fantastic four

fantastic four Okay... between you and me, I actually liked Fantastic Four... I mean its not the greatest movie ever made, its basically fluff, but its not trying to be anything other than fluff...

The script is cheesy, but not too much, and actually has some laughs in it... the acting is appropriate for the genre, and actually better than some of the acting in similar movies... the special effects are never overly obvious, which sounds weird, given that you're dealing with a human torch, an invisible woman and a rubber man, but nothing really stuck out as being "effecty" (like pretty much every shot of Spiderman in the two Spiderman movies). Even if the last scene basically screamed SEQUEL at the top of its tiny lungs, I have to say that I actually preferred this over Batman Begins.

On the plus side, Chris Evans is monumentally hot (pun completely optional) as Johnny Storm/the Human Torch, both in and out of his Fantastic Four jumpsuit and definitely needs to keep the close cropped hair.

Having not read any of the comic books, and having my knowledge of F4 come directly from the few episodes of the cartoon series I saw in the 80's (ie I don't remember a whole hell of a lot), I can't say how well or how badly the movie stuck to the "original" story. Although I do know that Sue Storm's character didn't have the forcefields, but since I'm not an "F4 Purist", I'm not especially bothered.

All in all it did what it set out to do, give me two hours(ish) of mindless enjoyment.

yani's rating: 3 mutated scientists out of 5

No comments: